Monday, September 14, 2009

Fabulous Fiftieth

My birthday weekend turned out to be much more fun--and not at all depressing!--than I was expecting it to be. Fred and I took off on the bike before 8 AM Saturday, me telling myself that I really wasn't 50 yet because I was born at 5:15 PM. We stopped in Wausau for breakfast at IHOP, then continued to Mosinee where Fred had a meeting at the airport. I entertained myself by reading and listening to passengers having fits because their flights were cancelled. By 1:30 we were on the road to Antigo where we met our friends Bill and Jennifer on their Honda Goldwing for the ride to the Amberg Hilton. The temperature was in the 80s, and the trip was an amazing sensory experience--passing through warm air currents, then cold ones; smelling the scents of farms, fields, and fall; feeling bugs splat on my forehead at 60 mph, and the trees!! Oh, the trees...flaming russet and crimson, plum, amber--I wish I had the 64-box of Crayolas here so I could choose color names to do them justice!
We got to the cabin a little after 4:30, and our nextdoor neighbors Annie and Lori immediately drove up. Not unusual--they knew it was my birthday. But then Bonnie from my bowling team (and Fred's office) and her husband Mike pulled into the driveway, and Bonnie was wearing a button with my first grade picture on it that said "Little Cheryl turns 50 today"!! Finally it clicked: I was getting a surprise party! My wonderful husband had planned it and arranged things when he was at the cabin the weekend before. More friends continued to drive in within the next hour: Penny and Jay, Renee and Ted, Josh, Billie and girls, Lee and Gail, Gene; Paul and Lauri all the way from Eau Claire, and Tom and Gail. I was completely fooled--no idea whatsoever!
I was treated to similar "old fogey" gifts that I have gleefully given other friends over the years on their 40th-50th b-days: a cane, black leis, a black whistle to use when I fall and can't get up, a book called "Sex After 50" (I also own "Sex After 40", which I didn't read, either!), a new bra whose long skinny cups hang down to my waist, etc. It's true; what goes around comes around. Some of the presents were nice ones, including money and goodies for my soldiers, sunflower decor for my kitchen, and enough fixings for daiquiris and margaritas to last me till I'm at least 50 and a half!
Eight friends spent the night, and after one of Fred's cabin breakfasts and some more conversation around the campfire, they headed for home. Fred and I, along with Bill and Jennifer, got on the bikes and rode south to Peshtigo to visit the Peshtigo Fire Museum. I will write more about that tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone who helped make my birthday so special. Whether it was being at the party, a phone call, or sending a card. present, or e-mail/Facebook wish, it is ALL greatly appreciated!!
I feel extremely lucky! Especially grateful to be married to Fred!!
Somebody over the weekend made the comment that now I'm in my Golden Years. Uh--I think I'm still in the aluminum years, as the pile of cans by my lawn chair Saturday night would indicate. I'll save the Geritol for my 75th!!

No comments: