Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm in a Hurry and Don't Know Why...

Since my late 20s, I guess after having kids, I have always felt like I'm in a hurry. There aren't enough hours in a day, and I rush from one activity to another--wanting the first to be done with so I can get to the next. I am impatient over anything that takes "too much time"--the computer not loading fast enough, the old guy driving 10 mph ahead of me, being put on hold by customer service like I don't have anything better to do. I've learned repeatedly that haste really does make waste, but it still hasn't sunk in. Just now I put laundry in the washing machine, and as I hurriedly grabbed the detergent off the shelf, I knocked the bottle of Shout down and broke the sprayer. Now I'm impatient and mad. It reminds me of an episode of All in the Family when hostility-plagued Archie Bunker read aloud an article title from The Reader's Digest: "Your Personality May Be Killing You."
The experts call this problem Time Urgency (TU) or Time Urgency and Impatience (TUI). It is typical of people with Type A personalities, but others can be affected, too. In an article by Dr. R. Murali Krishna, these questions are posed to determine if you may suffer from TU:

"Do you dislike waiting or feel impatient with the rate at which many things take place?
Do you find it difficult to linger at the table after eating?
Do you regularly do more than one thing at a time?
Do you suffer from "racing mind" and experience disturbances in your sleep?
Do you feel a chronic sense of time pressure?
Have you lost interest in activities away from your job?
Do you measure yourself by quantitative accomplishments?
Do you have difficulty accumulating pleasant memories?
Do you have a deep-seated need to be on time, or conversely, are you always late?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may have time urgency. It's not a healthy condition to have."

I'm not sure why I still feel this urgency at this stage of my life. My kids are grown up and I'm not working. A former expert at multi-tasking, I still try to do it--and now invariably end up with 3 or more failed efforts that have to be fixed or begun again.
Dr. Krishna offers ways to overcome TU in the complete article, which can be found at http://www.integris-health.com/INTEGRIS/en-US/Specialties/MindBodySpirit/Newsroom/MindMatters/TimeUrgency.htm
In the meantime, I will try to use some of his suggestions for slowing down. I already have enough strikes against me for developing heart disease. And, dear Fred, you should take a good look at this, too.

No comments: