Thursday, November 19, 2009

Baby Boomer Sexy

Fred left last night for his annual deer hunting excursion at the cabin. He told me I could come along and be the "camp wench" --but as inviting as that sounded, I declined. I have plenty to keep me busy while he's gone, starting with errands in town this morning and coffee with my friend Cindy. Since my exploratory latte a few weeks back, I've been having one every week after we walk; so far my favorite is white chocolate caramel. But I digress...
Upon returning home, I dug the mail out of the mailbox, and staring up at me was Johnny Depp on my copy of People's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue! Oooo, just what I need when I'm home by myself! A glass of wine and glossy pictures of hot sexy guys!
Well...obviously sexy is in the eye of the beholder, but Johnny Depp is not my idea of a hunk. He's cute enough--but he doesn't make my heart pound or drive all coherent thoughts from my brain when I look at him. As I paged through the issue, I didn't come across too many that did have that effect. Matthew McConaughey, David Beckham, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr.--good-looking, but no adrenaline rush here. Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt, Patrick Dempsey, George Clooney....getting warmer (but that could be a hot flash). The hottest picture in there, in my opinion, was of Gilles Marini--whom I only know from his being a contestant on Dancing With the Stars last season and his brief--but attention-grabbing--appearance in the shower in the Sex and the City movie.
Am I getting old? Is it because half of the guys in the issue are young enough to be my sons? Am I not ready for Cougar Town? Or is it that there is a lot more to being sexy than great looks?
If I was going to pick a sexiest man alive, I'd have to take qualities from several celebrities. I'd want the sweetness of John Krasinski (Jim) from The Office. The humor of Jon Stewart...the
ruggedness of Daniel Craig (James Bond)...the solid dependability of Gary Sinise or Tom Hanks...and as I've mentioned before, the looks of Vincent D'Onofrio (from Law and Order: Criminal Intent) I don't know what it is about him--his intelligence? The round face? Reminds me of someone....
So anyway, the big double issue was a little disappointing. I'll save it for Erica and Katie to drool over at Thanksgiving. And I'll just hope that AARP comes out with a Sexiest Man Still Alive sometime in the near future.

No comments: