Monday, November 16, 2009

Busy, Busy

I'm sure nobody out there has been holding their breath waiting for me to write a blog the past week. I've meant to get back to the almost-daily writing again, but I've been doing other things lately, I guess.
I've been working on packages for the holidays to send the troops that we support. I want to get them mailed within the next week or so, but have to write letters yet to include with them. Saturday I made 18 pounds of holiday trail mix and fudge that will go to Iraq for one of my "repeat" soldiers that I also supported in Afghanistan three years ago. Christmas cards for the Red Cross card drive for the troops have been mailed, and I got our personal cards addressed, too.
Thursday I spent the day cleaning house, which was long overdue. Apparently it either wore me out or I unearthed a 24-hour bug--because I spent Friday on the couch feeling achey and totally without energy. It wasn't the flu, thank goodness--and knock on wood!
Fred got home Saturday evening after being gone for 3 days. We went out for dinner and a movie--saw "The Fourth Kind." It's a story about alien abductions in Nome, Alaska in 2000, and is supposedly based on real people and events. I have to admit I was creeped out by it and afraid to look out the window during the night!
Yesterday we took advantage of the continued mild November weather and sunshine to finish up our pine tree project. I was afraid I'd have to take the chainsaw away from Fred before he cut down every tree along the side of the yard! Our "burn pile" is about 40 yards long now--Fred said he underestimated the size last weekend. I expressed concern about burning such a huge amount of branches, especially after his close-call experience at the cabin this summer when he burned up an old sofa sleeper--and, unintentionally, the woodpile sitting next to the fire pit. I expected Smokey the Bear to step out of the woods and arrest us!
Today I went grocery shopping for his 10 days at the cabin for deer season. He'll leave Wednesday, and has four friends joining him there for part of the week. At least I know they definitely won't starve, even if they don't get any deer! He always tells me I'm welcome to come along, but I don't want to disrupt the male bonding over beer, cigars, and multiple choruses of "The Thirty Point Buck."
So that's what I've been up to. I'll try to do better!!

2 comments:

Bardea said...

My only hope was Betty-Lou, yah, she was da one. A combination AK-57, oozy-radar-laser, triple-barreled, double-scoped heat-seekin' shotgun!

My mom was busy finishing chili, soup, brownies and other sweets last night to send with my dad later this week to the 'Pallet Palace'. Somehow, I envision the Amberg Hilton to be nicer than the P.Palace, though!

Keep writing when you can-I love it!

Unknown said...

Hope you don't start another "Peshtigo"type fire!