Monday, November 30, 2009

A Hilton Holiday

Thanksgiving has once again come and gone, and this year ours was less traditional than usual. Katie and I were here by ourselves Thursday, and she had told me that she wanted to have a "pancake smorgasbord" for our holiday meal. She bought several flavored pancake mixes, including pumpkin, gingerbread, and caramel apple. I found some pork sausage--of questionable expiration date--in the fridge, and we had that with the pancakes. Very tasty and satisfying as we watched the Packers beat the Lions. Fred was still at the cabin for deer hunting, so he made a meal of squirrel and rice to have with his sister Wendy. His menu was probably closer to the fare shared by the Pilgrims and Indians--plus he hunted for the main course like they did.
Katie and I headed over to the Hilton after the game. Fred told us that we would have to use the generator sparingly because the gas level was down to 30% after his week there. I had planned a turkey dinner for Friday night when Erica and Craig were joining us, so that afternoon I sat peeling potatoes by lantern light. Fred chided me for preheating the oven because I was "wasting gas." I was making a 7 pound turkey breast in a roasting bag, and it was supposed to take two hours. Erica and Craig arrived, the potatoes were cooking, Fred was making asparagus--but the turkey didn't look too brown. I took it out of the oven and cut into the meat--nope, not cooked through. We stuck the stubborn bird back in the oven, Fred telling me to turn up the heat on it. I nudged it up to 375, and he promptly cranked it to 425.
While we waited on the bird, I attempted to make gravy. I have never been a good gravy maker, and this time was my worst effort ever. It was thick as paste and had little flavor. I was happy to learn that Craig doesn't eat gravy, and I knew my family would like it or lump it. (no pun intended)
All in all it was a tasty dinner, and nobody got sick from undercooked turkey. We had a fun evening playing cards and Taboo, and after a couple glasses of wine I taught the kids a new version of the Quarters game.
Saturday after packing up, we all piled into the Mule and drove out to cut down a Christmas tree. Fred found us a nice one, and later this week it will be decorated and raining down needles on the presents beneath it. 11% gas level left in the tank when we left--the lowest it's ever been!
Saturday night Fred, Katie, and I went to see the movie "The Blind Side." It's a great film for all ages and families. Two thumbs up!
Overnight it snowed an inch or so, and we woke up to a blanket of white and a ton of dirty laundry. It's washed now, and today begins the Christmas season in earnest. Fa-la-la-la-la...!

No comments: