Thursday, January 14, 2010

Colonoscopy, the Final Chapter

I'm now a certified member of the Colonoscopy Club, and I can't believe what a breeze it was! Getting up early to be there by 6:45 this morning was the hardest part. Upon arrival at the hospital, I was taken to a room to change and have an IV started. Then I met the multiple people involved in the procedure: a nurse, the anesthesiologist, a nurse anesthetist, somebody controlling an instrument panel, and the doctor. By 8:00 I was in the surgical suite being told to roll on my side and bend my knees. Seconds later I was skiing through my colon, what looked like a big pink tunnel with wind noises swooshing around me. As I slalomed happily along, I became aware of someone calling my name. I opened my eyes and found myself back in the room where I'd started. Wow, what a dream! I felt normal except for a little grogginess, and was thrilled when they brought me a blueberry muffin and some orange juice. Katie brought me home and I had some pancakes; now it's time for a nap.
Anybody out there who is due for a colonoscopy, GET ONE!! It's so easy a cave man could do it!

No comments: