Friday, October 2, 2009

The Football Movie I Hope Is Never Made

When I count things now, I skip number 4 and just add one on at the end. My Brett Favre shirt is worn inside out and only for walking the dogs. Any newspaper stories about him get put directly beneath the litter boxes.
"Oh, she's so bitter!" you say. No, really I'm just mad at myself for thinking that loyalty exists in professional athletes. There is certainly enough bad behavior among NFL, NBA, and MLB players for anyone to realize that they often aren't deserving of the pedestals on which we place them. But as a Packer fan for nearly 40 years, I foolishy thought that we were different. Our team is from the smallest city in the league and is owned by the fans, not some rich old guy. Anyone who plays there is surrounded by the tradition, the history, and the legends. It's easy, as a fan, to get caught up in all that and think that the players feel the same way about the Packers, the town, and the legacy as we do.
I was naive to believe that Brett Favre, or any other player for that matter, feels allegiance to the team he plays for or the fans who love him. It's a job, a game, a business. Ok, I finally get that. But why does he have to look at the camera yesterday and say, "Monday night is just another game."? Come on, Brett! At least be man enough to say that "The Packers hurt me, and now is my chance to hurt them back." Do you think people would think less of you? I'd say you've already crossed that bridge, pal. It was worth it to you to come out of "retirement" twice, risk injury, destroy the good will and hero status you had in Green Bay, and maneuver to play for the team that is the Packers' biggest competition. So don't sit there and tell us this is like any other game. We fell for your heartfelt first departure from the game 18 months ago, but as we've since learned: your words are empty.
If the Vikings do make it to the Super Bowl (and lose for the fifth time) it should make him proud that they are using him just as he is using them. For revenge. For glory in the twilight of his career. But not for years of loyalty from a team and its fans. That seems pretty hollow compared to what he had in Green Bay.
Oh yeah, I forgot again. Loyalty has nothing to do with it.

No comments: