Wednesday, October 28, 2009

She-Wolf

The other night at the movies, I saw a preview for a film coming out called The Wolfman. Actor Benicio Del Toro visits his family home after the violent death of his brother, and soon after, he himself is attacked by a wolf-like creature. When the moon is full, he transforms into a hairy, snarling beast.
I don't even need a full moon. It was like watching myself evolving in the mirror. Hair in undesirable places. Knee-jerk anger over much of what I see, hear, read, and experience. Gnashing my teeth and being generally disagreeable about Fred's suggestions and comments.
I wasn't always like this, was I?? (For sure I wasn't growing a mustache.) But it's this personality transplant that bothers me the most. I've always been relatively cheerful and easygoing, not instantly riled up about everything. I feel like the real me has been snatched away and replaced by Miss Trunchbull from Matilda.
Besides the surliness, I offer other fine qualities. I'm forgetful, indecisive, unorganized, and feel extra gloomy when the sun doesn't shine. Small things seem overwhelming, and big things I'd rather think about next year. Our wedding vows didn't say "In sickness and in health, through PMS and menopause." With that loophole, Fred might go over to the cabin and never come back!
I guess I'd better do some more research and figure out how we can survive this time of my life--which could last for several more years yet. SLAM!! (That was Fred running out the door.)
And if you see a furry creature baying at the moon on Halloween night, stop and say hi. It might be me.

No comments: