Monday, October 12, 2009

Silver Bells

Tomorrow will be my and Fred's 25th anniversary. As you can see in the picture, I could not resist his sideburns and mustache, and he was enthralled by my Orphan Annie hairdo and hoot owl glasses. I remember many specific moments about our wedding day: the grim look on my dad's face as we walked down the aisle; Fred's tears when his late mother's favorite hymn was played; my sister Kelley wrestling his niece for the bouquet when I threw it; the wedding party hanging out in our hotel room till 4 AM. But it never occurred to me to wonder what our life would be like in five years, let alone twenty-five. All I was sure about was that we would live happily ever after.
Fast forward to now. Where did all that time go??! Working, raising kids, losing parents and siblings, weddings, grandkids, changing jobs, moving....some bad times, and many, many good times.
We renewed our vows on our tenth anniversary, complete with a dinner and DJ for family and friends. This one will be more low-key. We spent the weekend at the cabin, which is kind of ironic since we also spent our one-day honeymoon 25 years ago at some friends' cabin on the Black River. We went squirrel hunting that day; Fred shot them and I fetched them. This past Saturday we also went squirrel hunting--didn't see any, though.
Looking back from this vantage point, the experiences we have had and issues we have dealt with are like stepping stones that got us to where we are now. When we became partners and built a life together, we didn't know--and still don't--what the end of the story would be. Some days have been happily ever after, while on others we've played the parts of the wicked witch and the troll. But with love, support, trust, friendship, and respect we have made it this far, and I hope all that takes us through the next 25, too.
Happy anniversary, Dear! We're still having fun--and you're still the one.

2 comments:

Marigold1958 said...

Loved It!!!!

Anonymous said...

And I was right - we would play beautiful music together! Happy anniversary!

Fred