Thursday, July 2, 2009

Brain Pain

Last week on the way back from Bayfield, Fred and I stopped in Hurley for a bite to eat. I had a strawberry smoothie with my sandwich, and a couple seconds after slurping up a mouthful--Yeoooww!! A stabbing pain behind my eye and in my forehead. ICE CREAM HEADACHE!! You'd think that someone who has been a connoisseur of margaritas for 30+ years would know better, but nope. The headache went away after a minute or so, but it made me wonder: why do cold things give us that terrible pain in the head?
Also known as brain freeze and cold stimulus headache, this phenomenon starts in the mouth. We have taste buds and nerves at the back of our tongues and palate that transmit information to the brain. When we eat something cold that touches these nerves, the nerves set off the vessels that control the amount of blood flow to the brain. The cold causes the blood vessels to rapidly constrict, and that results in the almost-instant headache. The pain usually lasts only 30-60 seconds, but as I can attest from that smoothie, it really hurt!! To add insult to injury, it happened to me twice--obviously, a slow learner.
How do we prevent these headaches without giving up ice cold treats? It is recommended to eat cold foods and drinks slowly, allowing them time to warm in your mouth a few seconds before swallowing. Try not to let it touch the back of your tongue and palate right off the bat. Avoid using a straw, as this will prevent drinking slowly and usually draws the cold liquid right to the spot that will cause the most pain.
Wow, you learn something new every day! I hope you'll all enjoy some ice cream and cold beverages this weekend without any headaches. Now that I know this, I don't plan to experience this pain ever again. From now on my only "brain freeze" will be when I can't find my car in the parking lot.
Have a great 4th, everyone! We'll be at the Amberg Hilton, so catch you here on Monday!

No comments: