Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bless the Beasts

Yesterday I took five big bags of aluminum cans to the animal shelter in town. They recycle them and use the money to help pay for spaying and neutering the animals. I hadn't been to the shelter since last November when I adopted Smokey (perhaps the most lovable cat ever), so I wanted to go in and see the cats and dogs before leaving. On the outer door there was a sign that read, "We need dry cat food BADLY. Please help us if you can. Thanks from the Kitties." My heart broke a little.
In the lobby three beautiful cats were ruling the roost. All of them nuzzled me and purred as I gave them attention and talked to the director. She said they presently have 65 cats and there have been few adoptions this summer. The one who has been there longest came in last December. My heart broke a little more.
I went back to where the cages are, first encountering the small dogs. An adorable puppy was yapping his head off, wanting so badly to get out of that cage. The pup in the cage below him was quiet but looked at me with sad brown eyes. I went down the line, petting each dog and getting profusely kissed by a half-grown black Lab, a beagle, a poodle mix, and others. One happy moment occurred when a woman stopped in to pick up the dog she'd adopted the day before.
There are two cat areas, and they were full. I went from cage to cage and petted every one, almost all of them playful, purring, and demanding attention. Buck, Fifi, Jack, Paws, Cooper, Junior, Lucy, Chubs, Lilly, Lola...One handsome boy in an upper cage knocked the sunglasses off my head with his paw as I played with his neighbor. When I finally slid my hand into his cage, he held it between his paws and rubbed his head against it. My heart was now in several pieces.
I told the director I'd be back with a bag of cat food, sniffling all the way to the store.
Every sizable city in every state has one or more shelters like this, filled with animals that need a loving home. Some of them euthanize the ones that don't get adopted after a certain amount of time. If we didn't already have 3 dogs and 5 cats, I'd bring more home in a second.
Please consider taking in one of these animals from your local shelter if you possibly can. It's been scientifically proven that people who have cats and dogs live longer--(unless you're my mom, whose puppy recently ripped a sizable chunk out of their living room carpet!) You can also help by donating pet food, cat litter, cleaning supplies, and money--or volunteer to walk the dogs and clean cages. And as Bob Barker says, please get your pets spayed or neutered.
My furry friends and I thank you.

No comments: