Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Willpower

A person's will is an amazing thing. It can make a runner reach that finish line even though his legs are noodles and he's gasping for breath. It gives a woman the strength to push just once more and bring that baby into the world. And it keeps me from eating the things I shouldn't.
"Mind over matter" really is a saying that a dieter must take to heart--and maybe tattoo on her arm. So much of losing weight is about what's going on in our heads, not our stomachs. I have needed to lose weight for the past 6 years, but my heart hasn't really been in it every time I've made a New Year's resolution or faced another Monday. A week ago I decided it's time to really get sensible and start making better eating choices, both for my health and my appearance--and just like that, I had a resurgence in willpower that I haven't experienced in years. I haven't been tempted to eat things I shouldn't because I just say NO! Bad choice! If I can convince myself that the thick, frosting-covered brownie is not good for me, then that's it; I walk away and think about something else. So far it has been working--but I haven't had to deal with PMS week yet...
It's like giving myself a constant pep talk, visualizing the fat cells being chewed up by the monster growling in my stomach. So it's not a question of being able to do it or needing to do it--you have to want to do it. Really want to. Where there's a will there's a way. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Never give up. Eat, drink, and be merry. Oops! Scratch that last one.
My friends Cathi and Cheryl are also trying to shed pounds with me. Cheryl was told by a fitness trainer that if you eat cereal for breakfast, it increases your metabolism by 4%; if you eat protein, your metabolism goes up 30%. Cheryl has cut back fat in her diet and lost 9 lbs. in 2 weeks! Way to go! Cathi is doing well, too, and we are going to share tips in a phone call later today.
Until then, I have a new guy in my life, holding my hand through the hard times. His name is Will Power, and don't tempt him. You'll lose.

2 comments:

Marigold1958 said...

I hope that some of your enthusiasm rubs off on me, I seem to have lost my willpower after dropping 16#. I need to rev up my will power again!!

Bardea said...

My dad's interpretation of Mind over Matter: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. So the converse must be true-if you mind what you're eating, it does matter to your body! Keep up the good work.