Monday, July 27, 2009

To See or Not to See

I think it might be time to invest in a granny chain. For me, being able to see things clearly these days requires a multitude of eyeware. I wear contacts most of the day, and they do fine in correcting my near-sightedness. However, if I try to read something up close, I can't see a thing--just a meaningless blur. So, I invested in reading glasses to solve the up-close vision problem. I keep a pair in my purse, the kitchen, at my desk, and by the computer. They work great--unless you leave them sitting on store counters, library shelves, or on top of your head, forgetting they're there. Thus the need for a granny chain. When I was young I would laugh at the chain attached to glasses around the necks of librarians, store clerks, and older relatives. How quaint! I thought. Now I get it! We lose our ability to see up close at the same time that our memories take a vacation. Eventually this could become expensive!
In the evening I usually take my contacts out and wear my regular prescription glasses. I now have the same problem with them as my contacts--I can use them for distance, but they cause things up close to blur. In order to read, I take them off and use my naked eyes. I could probably solve these problems with bifocal glasses and contacts, but I don't know if I could get used to either. Instead I sit with reading glasses perched on the end of my nose, looking over the top of them to see the TV. Just like my dad used to do!
Fred is also a candidate for a granny chain. He hasn't left his prescription glasses in a store or at a restaurant. No, he goes right for the big stuff, like dropping them over the side of the boat while fishing. Or setting them on the green while he putted, then running over them with the golf cart. (I can just see his reaction if the girls or I were that careless with our expensive specs!!) He also asks me "Where are my glasses?" nearly as often as he asks me to make him a sandwich.
I can picture us sitting in our rocking chairs, granny chains around our necks, and he'll ask, "Have you seen my glasses?" "They're on your chain!" I'll say. He replies, "It looks like rain??!" Yes, he needs a hearing aid, too.

No comments: