Thursday, April 16, 2009

No Sleepy = Grumpy and Dopey

Getting a good night's sleep seems to be an unattainable luxury for me these days. After being sleep-deprived for years when the girls were younger, I learned to function successfully on just a few hours of shut-eye. But now if I don't get at least 8 hours, I feel spacey and off kilter all day--an increasingly frequent condition.
Some of the reasons are my own fault. The night before last, we had 3 of the cats in bed with us. Smokey was sprawled between us, Crunchy was at my feet, and Russ was curled up next to my neck. She has a chronic respiratory thing going on, so she sneezes a lot. Getting sprayed with cat snot just as I'm dozing off is a rude awakening. If I roll over, she has to climb over my head and be on the side that I'm facing, which is some weird cat rule. None of this is conducive to sleep--or anything else--wink,wink!
Last night I was up till 11:30 finishing a book with an intense, suspenseful ending. Revving my adrenaline at that hour is a mistake if I hope to conk out within 10 minutes. I was still awake, with a headache, after midnight. Then the sun shines into our bedroom right in my face early in the morning, better--or worse--than an alarm clock. I really need to shop for shades--or an eye mask.
Sometimes I wake up during the night feeling like I'm on fire, sweating profusely. HOT FLASH!! I kick off the covers and a cat or two and shed the PJs until my temperature is back to normal. Then I start thinking about something and lie there for an hour or more, listening to Fred snore.
I don't drink caffeine after 2 in the afternoon, avoid chocolate in the evening (unless it's PMS week) and seldom have alcohol. A drink used to help me relax before bedtime, but now it makes me hot. (and I don't mean that in a good way)
Fred is actually a worse insomniac than I am. Three or four times a week, he wakes up between 3 and 4 AM and doesn't go back to sleep. Obviously this keeps me awake, too. He wants to cuddle (I'm a sprawler); have the radio on (I want quiet); or talk (it's 4 AM!) Often he'll get up and watch TV--I don't know how he can put in 14 hour days on the amount of sleep he gets. His new plan is to get up as soon as it's light out and start training for the 5K we are talking about doing together. He wants me to get up and do this, too. Get dressed, go outside, and exercise. Do people go crazy after 50??!!
I'm going back to bed.

No comments: