Monday, April 6, 2009

On the Street Where You Live

Moving from 720th Ave. in Elk Mound to Silver Lake Road in Rhinelander was a step up, in my opinion, because I like the name of the street better here. In Elk Mound, all rural roads were called by number, with a "real" name in small letters below it. 720th Ave. was also Skyline Drive, which I thought had much more character and ambience. Fred thinks I'm weird, but I gave consideration to the names of the streets when looking for a new house to buy. I really didn't want to live on Dump Rd. or Van Nocker Rd. Silver Lake had a nice Laura Ingalls Wilder flavor to it and looked good on my address labels. Every time I drive to town, I pass by Dead End Rd. and Lonely Drive. I feel sorry for those people, especially the Lonely ones! Then I turn onto Pinos St.--which is probably pronounced differently than the immature way I say it!
Every city has unusual place names--maybe even the city's name itself is rather unfortunate. It would be interesting to learn where these names originated. In Eau Claire you can live on Epiphany Lane, Fear St., Seclusion Drive, or Uranus Ave. (Yes, all the planets are represented there, but again--I'm immature!) In the subdivisions you could reside on Erica or Katelyn Court.
On the way to the cabin Friday, I kept my eyes open for strange street names in the little towns and rural areas we passed through. I wouldn't want to live on Fatla Rd., but Petite Lane would be ok. Black Sam Rd. seems awfully racist in this day and age, and Dirt Road Drive is just plain sad. Any poor kid who lives on Drury Lane is bound to be known as the Muffin Man.
Let me know if you have any humorous, unappealing, or bizarre place names in your neck of the woods. In the meantime, I won't be moving to Athelstane.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always felt bad for my friend from Pittsville...

Annabelle said...

I have a friend from there too!!

Erica said...

I forgot about Pinos Street. Also, I once sold satellite television to the residents of Uranus Ave.

bigmomma said...

They had to change the name of Gay Drive in Gilman because people kept stealing the sign. Another favorite is Crappie Lane by Lake Esadore.
I also like UpJohn Road in Rib Lake. I like to call it UpChuck Road or UpYoursJohn Road!