Monday, April 20, 2009

Soldier Mail

Friday I opened the mailbox, expecting the usual newspaper, junk, and bills--but in addition to all that, I had SOLDIER MAIL!! There was a thank you note from a Wisconsin Army major in Afghanistan to whom I'd sent a bunch of cigars at Christmas--compliments of Fred, left over from hunting season at the cabin. There was also a package from Brian in Iraq, containing a stuffed bear wearing a T-shirt with the name of his base, KALSU, on it and a magnet with a scene from the base. I had supported Brian when he was in Afghanistan, so have known and kept in touch with him for almost four years. He invited us to his wedding in Virginia three years ago, and I receive picture updates of his 2-year-old son. He is the third soldier I've seen through two deployments, one in each war zone.
When I sent my first package to a soldier in June 2004, I really wasn't expecting anything in return. I figured any recipient of mail from a total stranger would be too busy in a war to write back, let alone send me something! Was I wrong! I totally misjudged the amazing character of the men and women who represent us in uniform around the world. I've sent packages and letters to people in every branch of the military, and have had responses from over 100 in the past 5 years. The scrapbook I started is now loaded with pictures, e-mails, letters, and certificates of appreciation from these terrific people, as well as a big box with more e-mails and handwritten letters and cards. Several letters were written just to say thank you for a card of mine that they had received from the many "card swaps" we've done on the anysoldier.com forum. It is humbling to find out how much a simple note of support means to these troops so far from home in dangerous places.
In my "shrine" I have the gifts received over the years on display. There are 3 American flags flown in Afghanistan, along with certificates with my name, the date they were flown, and over which base. There is a plaque from a Marine helicopter unit that flew in the November 2004 raids over Fallujah, Iraq. A stained glass wall hanging made by an Iraqi craftsman for us on behalf of an Iowa National Guard captain. Two sets of nesting dolls from Afghanistan, sand from the Persian Gulf, a lapis lazuli trinket box from A-stan, mugs, T-shirts, and medals.
The best gifts, though, have been actually meeting four of my contacts in person. The fact that they took the time to express their thanks face-to-face is something I will never forget. SSG Ryan Johnson of the Iowa National Guard has met our whole family, and I've met his in Iowa. Maj. Sean Gustafson of the Minnesota National Guard came to our house in Elk Mound for dinner two summers ago. Cpt. Melinda McGregor of the Iowa National Guard met me in La Crosse for lunch, and most recently I had dinner with Darrin Troyer of the U.S. Navy and his family in San Diego. I currently have a contact who is from Whitewater, WI and hope to meet her some day, too. (Got that, Theresa??!!)
Two of my soldiers just returned to their families in the past couple months, and another one will be deploying again soon. When I started this, I didn't expect that I'd still be doing it 5 years later with no end in sight. But it's one personal way that we can help make life a little better for those with the courage and character to defend freedom for the rest of us. I hope you will think about trying it, too--I'd be happy to help.

3 comments:

pizzathehut said...

Oh yes! I got it! It is something I am planning on doing when I return in AUG. I might have to make my way to northern Wisconsin.

Annabelle said...

I'm very willing to meet you in the middle!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Annabelle -

This is really an inspiring blog. I am wondering if I can use parts of your blog in my column this week? You know, write about us being in class together and the work you do (I still have your card) with supporting the troops...and then do the "I can help you" get involved in this at the end...with contact info if that would be okay.

Let me know ASAP...I also would like your permission to use parts of your blog - your own words...

Thanks
Laurie