Wednesday, April 29, 2009

WDALYIC**

Confused about instant message and texting abbreviations, my sister was looking for some kind of dictionary to explain all the acronyms. Some of the terms have been in use for a long time, and most of us understand them: LOL, ROFL, BRB, IDK. Others are part of our general vocabulary: SNAFU, FUBAR, PITA. I've always enjoyed trying to figure out what these word short-cuts mean, kind of like deciphering personalized license plates. But I did find an online source that defined the abbreviations and read a bunch that I've never heard before. I doubt that most of them get much use--who could remember them all??
"I don't have a SNERT anymore, do you?" I could ask. "My snot-nosed egotistical rude teenagers are both over 20 now." I could make my fellow conversationalists choke on their breakfast by telling them I'm NIFOC--naked in front of computer. And I'll be back in a flash when MNC: Mother Nature calls. If you're at work, you can refer to your HUB (head up butt) boss and SLAP him or her--sounds like a plan. At your next committee meeting, maybe you DKDC--don't know, don't care--that your new idea is a WOMBAT (waste of money, brains, and time).
Your kids will work hard at KPC--keeping parents clueless--and warn each other about MOS (Mother over shoulder) You'll ask why they are texting when you're speaking to them and they'll say, SHID (slapping head in disgust) "IASB!!"--I am so bored.
I might use YGG (you go, girl!) or L8RG8R--Later Gator--but I don't think the others will find their way into my instant messaging vocabulary. I do want Fred to learn one important one, though--SWMBO: she who must be obeyed.

**Who died and left you in charge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DYW

Fred