Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Doing for Them as They're Doing for Us

I've written about this topic before, but it is a cause dear to my heart--so please bear with me. If I can get even a couple more readers to support the troops, I will be happy. This past week was an extraordinary one as far as mail from military contacts is concerned. I received 3 snail mail letters--one in a package!--and two e-mails. Here are some excerpts:
From Iraq: "Your letters remind me of why I'm here and who I'm here for. We very much appreciate the time and effort you took to keep our morale high. I liked hearing about your family. I never rode a motorcycle, and I plan to change that when I come back."--SPC Charles C.
From Afghanistan: "Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. When we receive care packages from people such as yourselves, it means the world to us. It is truly like Christmas every time we get a package. I spent two and a half years in Sheboygan as an Army recruiter...great time, great beer, great brats!"--SFC Jason H.
From Iraq: "Thank you so much for your supportive thoughts. Boxes always make soldiers feel better. We are food inspectors, animal technicians, and veterinarians. Your pet menagerie must keep you entertained! Thank you!" --SSG Diana N.
From Iraq: "Thank you SOOOOOOO MUCH! Got your wonderful package this weekend and it was AWESOME! Almost made me feel like I was back home in the Midwest. You are the best, and what you are doing for me and others is the best example I can think of as yet another reason why the U.S. is the most wonderful country the world has ever seen." --Maj. Sean G.
(I also supported Sean in Afghanistan 3 years ago and sent him homemade chocolate chip cookies in this box. FYI, the military forbids homemade treats unless you know the person)
Darrin T. is in the Navy, now stationed in San Diego. I sent him packages when he was aboard the USS Essex in the Persian Gulf in 2004-05. Katie and I met him and his family when we visited San Diego in March. Last week he sent me a package with three Navy coins and his command patch with this note:
"I just wanted to give something in return for all the things you have done for me and my family. Thank you for supporting the troops and myself. All of your e-mails and packages were greatly appreciated. Thank you for all you do!"--E6 Petty Officer First Class Darrin T.
These are just a few examples of how much it means to our troops to hear from home. It breaks my heart that I can't support every one of them. Since I can't send them all packages, I also write as many letters as I can.
If you would like to get involved, go to anysoldier.com for all the information you'll need, or e-mail me and I would be glad to help.
One last thing from Jason: "The next time you see a soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine passing by, please take the time to say thank you. It means more to us than you could ever imagine. It is what keeps us going...we do it for the love of our great country."

No comments: