Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Love in a Loaf

If I have ever visited you, I've more likely than not brought you a loaf of poppy seed bread. My mom gave me the recipe years ago, and I've since made it zillions of times. It's more like eating cake than bread--it's moist, sweet, and the almond flavor and orange juice glaze are what makes it especially tasty.
I've taken it to work and sent it to work with Fred; mailed it in packages to friends and family; brought it to potlucks and holiday meals. I make it for our annual canoe trip, for the Barry-Berry golf marathon in August, and for my step-daughters at Christmas. (They have the recipe, too, but tell me mine always tastes better. ) I've given it to the employees at the Elk Mound and Menomonie post offices for their help with all the soldier packages I mailed there. I submitted the recipe for the Anysoldier cookbook; they published the bread recipe separately from the glaze, so if you bought the book you have to look in two places.
I like the fact that the recipe makes two loaves--one to keep and one to give away. Last week I made it and gave away both loaves. One was for our neighbors, and the other I gave my new friend Cindy when we met to go walking.
Here is the recipe for anyone I haven't given it to: 3 c. flour, 2 1/2 c. sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 T poppy seeds; 1 1/2 c milk, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1 cup plus 2 T vegetable oil. Combine all ingredients and mix for two minutes. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for one hour. Glaze: 3/4 c. powdered sugar, 1/4 c. orange juice, 2 tsp melted margarine, 1/2 tsp almond extract. Whisk together ingredients in small bowl and pour over the loaves while they're still warm. I usually take a fork and poke a few holes in the bread so the glaze really soaks in.
I have another recipe that is almost the same, but it's for bars instead of bread, and they have powdered sugar frosting. Almost too sweet to eat!
If I'm ever abducted by aliens, I will say, "I come in peace--and here is a loaf of poppy seed bread."

1 comment:

Marigold1958 said...

I have been on the receivng end of your poppy seed bread many times, and even though I make it myself it always tastes better when someone else makes it.
Makes me want to run right upstairs and make some even though I just got off the treadmill..........