Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This and That

**It has been so hot and humid the past few days that I was concerned about our dogs. They have such thick fur, and haven't even shed much of their winter coats yet. They don't have as much shade as they did in their old kennel, so yesterday I went to Menards and bought each of them a kiddie swimming pool. I hauled 45 gallons of water out there and filled the pools, waiting eagerly with my camera to watch them cannonball into their instant heat relief. Well--there wasn't much splashing going on. Kaya got into Koko's pool briefly, drank several times out of her own, and finally stood in it for a few minutes, cooling her feet. Bum and Koko, however, hid in their shelters, flatly refusing to get wet. Maybe they'll figure out today that cool water feels good! Their brother Beatle is probably spinning in his grave--he loved to flop into a pool with all his puppy heart. I've walked the dogs at 7 AM the past two days to avoid the worst of the heat and humidity, but it's still miserable.
**Speaking of misery, I did a little clothes shopping at Kohl's again yesterday, as evidenced by the dent in the dressing room wall where I banged my head in frustration. I'm hoping that if we pay extra, the photographer will put my head on a diffeent body in Erica's wedding pictures.
**Ok, I admit it: I watched "The Bachelorette" last night. I usually have it on in the background while I'm reading, and I catch enough of it just to know which of the bachelors are jerks or weirdos. One is a musician who--unbeknownst to Jillian, the Bachelorette--has a girlfriend at home and is on the show just to gain publicity for his soon-to-be-released CD. He has come right out and said this to the other guys, but she is blind to it and has kept him there week after week. Another guy has a foot fetish and wants to rub her feet every time they are alone together. Eeeww!! I would not want my daughter to find a guy by going on national TV and making out with characters like these!!
**Tomorrow Fred and I are going to Bayfield. Weather permitting, we'll take the Harley. We're staying at an inn on the lake, and Thursday will take the ferry to Madeline Island. We've received several suggestions from friends about places to eat, shop, and explore, so I'll be back in a couple days with highlights. In the meantime, stay cool!!

No comments: