Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hot Weather Horrors

The past week's wave of heat and humidity here brought to the forefront several of my pet peeves about summer--primarily of the "attire" variety. Some of the things I find objectionable might be deemed sour grapes and actually appreciated by other people. Like my husband, for example. Whether the case be envy or disgust, here is my list.
--Men wearing flip-flops. (We called them "thongs" when I was a kid, but that term is now used for teeny underwear.) For some reason, flip-flops on guys don't seem masculine. And who wants to look at big hairy toes in a restaurant or store?
--Braless women in air-conditioned places. Outside in the 90 degree temperatures, these ladies may not attract undue attention, but put them in the overly chilled dairy section and their lack of chestical coverage almost pokes your eyes out!
--A sub-category of number two: women, after a certain age, should not go braless at all. At least not in public. The lack of support that may go unnoticed beneath a winter coat or sweatshirt will be glaringly obvious in a thin summer top--like two water balloons hanging there, waiting to be dropped on someone's head.
--Women who have spent so much time in tanning booths or on the beach that they look like they could be made into a pair of leather boots and matching skirt. A golden tan is attractive--wrinkled snakeskin in a color not found in nature is ugly and unhealthy.
--Middle-aged men in Speedos. I didn't witness this in person last week, but caught a glimpse during footage on the local news taken at a public pool. A guy would practically need to be Michael Phelps to look good in a suit like that at any age, but if you're over 40 it's just a shameless attempt to show off the package. If the package can even be seen beneath the gut overhang, that is.
Ok, I'll stop here lest I seem overly critical of my peers. I'm just going to put on a tube top and go shop for ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I follow you around in the grocery store?