Tuesday, June 2, 2009

History of a House

I've been wondering about the history of the house we bought here and the people who have lived in it over the years. Since moving in last October, we continue to receive mail addressed to two different surnames. No one had lived here in the year before we bought it because the interior was being almost totally remodeled. The guy we bought it from lives in California and only spends the month of July at his childhood home on Spider Lake Road. He told us that an old lady who lived here made great cookies when he was a kid. The rock foundation of the house has 1913 written in stones--which I think is cool because two of my grandparents were born that year. The papers we signed at closing said the house was built in 1960, but that may have been when an addition was put on. A neighbor I talked to said a farmer lived here for 30 years, and there used to be hundreds of deer in the fields where the pine trees now stand.
The original barn is gone, but we still have the milkhouse and the concrete part of the silo. Fred wants to build a "clubhouse" on top of the silo and turn the milkhouse into a bunking space for guests. I actually think it would make a great writing studio...!
I spend a lot of time alone here, and I think the place might have a ghost. The closet door in the girls' room is often open, even though I always shut it firmly after I've been in there. There is a moaning sound in the kitchen, and I've heard tapping and knocking when I'm in the shower. It's probably just the wind--or I've been watching "Medium" too much. Pretty flimsy evidence of supernatural habitation, I know, and even if there were a ghostly presence, it's not a scary one. Probably just a farm wife who used to make great cookies.
I really like living here, and since I loved living in our Elk Mound house, I'm glad I'm able to say that. I do feel a stronger connection to the past of this house, probably due to time spent on my grandparents' farm and with my grandma--another excellent cookie maker. Since I follow in that tradition, maybe I should do some carving in the old foundation stones for whoever lives here 100 years from now. "Cheryl was here with Ranger cookies, 2009." (And now I'm in the upstairs closet!)"

2 comments:

Bardea said...

Judging by the spindle of those lilac trunks, I'd say 1913 is more believable. I never thought about surprises like that when you bought an older house instead of a new one. What fun! My other thought today... I LOVE reading your blog because you use the word 'sighted' correctly, and you can spell camaraderie and use correct grammar. aaaah. You keep the anxiety out of this reader, and I keep coming back for more!

Annabelle said...

Thanks Sara! :) I AM an English teacher, so I guess I ought to spell and use grammar correctly! (Although I do notice an occasional typo)