Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bear With Me

As the weather has warmed up and spring teases us here in the Northwoods, I have been thinking about bears. I walk our dogs 4-5 times a week through the woods along Silver Lake Road, and it's a scenic, peaceful place to stroll. But how long will it be before the hungry un-hibernating bears return? We had several bears in our yard in Elk Mound over the years, and I know there are more this farther north. Friends of ours in Rhinelander had a mother bear and two cubs in their garage last summer!! Another saw two lumber through his yard and told us they have become a problem even within the city limits! Fred laughs at my fears, but as I walk I have been formulating emergency plans. I know I can't count on the dogs for protection--Koko is a chicken, and Bum would make it worse with his bravado. Good old mama dog Kaya would probably be my best chance since she will bleed to protect her food dish.
I just read an excerpt from a survival guide that said "Show respect and walk away slowly" when encountering a bear. I can do THAT! "Please, sir, we are sorry for trespasssing. If you go eat that annoying Yorkie up the road, my husky and I will never bother you again." I could start carrying a walking stick with a sharpened end and impale the charging Yogi, like Anthony Hopkins in "The Edge." I always have my cell phone with me, but who am I gonna call with only seconds to plan--Bear Busters?! I have eyeballed one neighbor's dumpster at the end of their driveway, and I think I would fit into it--but don't bears love garbage?
Any suggestions would be appreciated, since big dark stumps seen from the corner of my eye have been inducing adrenaline rushes lately. Scares the porridge out of me!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would certainly keep me from walking, if they are seen within the city limits and you are 20 some miles from town, there is more of a chance of them being in the woods!!

Annabelle said...

We're only 10 miles from town, but I don't think the distance matters--apparently they could be anywhere!!

Unknown said...

I laughed until I cried at this one...