Sunday, March 8, 2009

Today at the Movies

When I watched the Oscar broadcast two weeks ago, I hadn't seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture. Often those are the films we think are too "artsy" to be entertaining. I had read "The Reader" and knew the the film would be a downer. Until it was nominated, I had never even heard of "Slumdog Millionaire." When it won, I still didn't have a burning desire to see it--until Katie went to it last week and gave it two thumbs up! After seeing it last night, I agree. It reminded me of the underdog movie that won the Oscar when I was in high school--"Rocky." Slumdog is more violent, the slums of Mumbai defy description, but we cheer for Jamal like we did for Rocky Balboa in '76. Don't miss it!
Another film to see--that wasn't nominated but deserved to be-- is "Gran Torino". Clint Eastwood growls his way through it as a racist, bitter old man who redeems himself through a relationship with the two "H-mong" (as he pronounces it) teenagers next door. Clint continues to make quality movies in his 70s, and I hope he keeps it up for a long time! In the meantime I will practice growling, "Get off my lawn!"

No comments: