Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

Before Friday the 13th became an unending series of bad horror movies, it was just a day that some people considered bad luck. My dad was superstitious in general, but he was definitely triskaidekaphobic. The number 13 was something to be avoided at all costs. When I was a kid, I remember him driving around the block a couple times so the odometer wouldn't be on 13 when he parked. He once ran a little bit of gas out onto the ground (it was much cheaper then!) so the total didn't amount to so many dollars and 13 cents! He wasn't happy when Fred and I chose October 13th as our wedding date. My mom and sisters might remember even more examples, but those are the ones that stay with me. I think 3 was a more unlucky number for him--he was hit by a drunk driver and broke his leg one May 3rd, and he died on April 3rd. But--he died at 49, and those two numbers add up to 13.
I've inherited a little bit of his superstitious behavior, but some of it might be considered more obsessive-compulsive. I believe in the power of sitting in the same chair if I'm on a winning streak at gin. I think if I keep wearing my ugly red motorcycle helmet, we'll remain accident-free. I say the same prayer that I said as a kid at bedtime to keep everybody safe. I repeatedly check things that I KNOW I already turned off, packed, put in my purse, etc. JUST TO MAKE SURE! 13 doesn't bother me too much---getting married on the 13th wasn't the predictor of doom that my dad feared. (Right, FRED?!!) But--I am glad Katie and I don't fly on the 13th for our trip to San Diego. I don't like having $13 in my purse, and I NEVER leave 13 e-mails in my in-box!! I don't want a Baker's Dozen--they can keep their extra cookie or doughnut!
Ok, so maybe I AM channeling my dad a little bit...in honor of his memory, I won't tempt fate today with any risky behavior. The 13 chores on my list will just have to wait till tomorrow!
Have a lucky day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was born on the 3rd.

Anonymous said...

Posted at 9:13??......

Unknown said...

Wow, Mother, good eye!