Monday, March 2, 2009

Forever Young?

Today I am meeting my college roommate, Amy, in Stevens Point to hang out, spend the night in a motel, and celebrate her 50th birthday. 50??!! How can that be? (Of course, I'm only 49 1/2, but she must be feeling pretty darn old!) Actually, I know she is, because she was appalled that she got the AARP discount when she booked the room! She told me, "I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!" I'm sure I can make her laugh about it with a drink or six. We have a lot to laugh about! We have remained friends for 30 years, even though we've only seen each other a handful of times since college. We may be almost 50, but that's the youngest we'll be in the rest of our lifetimes! We're both healthy (knock on wood), have all our teeth, and our natural hair color (at least I do!) Fifty is just a number (half century); it's the "new 40" (denial); it's irrelevant when you still feel 25 inside (way down deep underneath the sagging stomach and boobs). Tomorrow I'll let you know how the reunion goes--hopefully she'l be able to keep up with the younger me and stay awake till at least 10 PM!!

No comments: