Thursday, March 5, 2009

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

I would love to sleep dreamlessly every night. I might then wake up feeling rested and ready to face the day. But my sleep is filled with vivid, action-packed, exhausting dreams. Last night the stars of my slumber were body-snatcher-type creatures who controlled us humans with a green, laser-shooting device like a stun gun. I watched helplessly as the pod-people disabled everyone around me--until I managed to wrestle a device away and blast one of the invaders in the face. This woke me up with such a jolt that I knocked Jasmine off the bed!
I have two recurring dreams that have plagued me for years. The first is that I discover after years of being a teacher that I didn't really graduate from UW-Eau Claire. I have to give up my job and go back for a semester. Once I get there I can never find the classrooms I need, and I don't get my homework done on time. Several years ago Fred went so far as to give me an "honorary" diploma from UW-Stout so I'd feel more secure in my college education!
My second oft-repeated vision stars Doug K., the boy I pined for from second to eighth grades. He turns up a couple times a month, always in a different plot, but still the object of my unrequited affections. He turns 50 this month, and with my luck will be fat and bald in future appearances.
I really should research what all this means. If I learn anything, I'll let you know! In the meantime, Jazz would be wise to sleep in a different bed.

No comments: