Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hell's Kitchen

Yesterday I created a new recipe: peanut butter mint bars. Sounds like a great flavor combination, doesn't it?! I was trying something new--Peanut Butter Cake Bars--from my first issue of Simple & Delicious magazine. I had all the ingredients mixed together, and then I poured in the bag of chocolate chips. As I stirred, the unmistakable scent of mint wafted out of the bowl. More befuddled than usual, I dug the chocolate chip bag out of the wastebasket and saw "Mint Baking Chips" boldly written on the label. Great! The chips were completely stirred into the batter already. Sigh. I pressed them into the pan anyway and threw it into the oven. Martha Stewart, that's me.
Another screw-up in the kitchen that some days make me think I should hang up my oven mitts. In a dessert that called for egg whites, I separated the whites into the sink and tossed the yolks into the bowl. Trying to multi-task by making a cake and a salad at the same time, I poured chocolate batter into the salad bowl full of lettuce. I lost count of the cups of flour I was adding to the poppy seed bread mixture because I was singing along with Shania Twain. ("Man, I Feel Like a Moron")
I used to turn out successful meals every night while dealing with two little kids and a full-time job. I don't know if now I'm just careless, preoccupied, or suffering from middle-aged mental lapses. Probably all of the above. At least I haven't set the house on fire--which I may owe completely to the oven timer. I just started using it since getting a new stove, and it's easier than turning off the smoke alarm.
As for the bars, they don't taste that bad. I'm sending them to Eau Claire with Fred today for Katie--college kids will eat anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I commented through facebook, but when I signed on directly to the blog the picture of the girls was gigantic. I can see their faces well on it, though- they look really nice. Katie's eyes are so blue!

Erica said...

And Erica's face is so shiny.