Saturday, March 7, 2009

What Lies Beneath

Yesterday I cleaned out my underwear drawer. You'd think I would have done that before we moved four months ago, but no--I just shoved the whole pile into a duffel bag and moved it from EM to Rhinelander. As I was putting away laundry, though, I noticed that the drawer barely closed because it was so full. There were 47 pairs of undies in there (I counted), about a dozen of which I actually wear. Why am I such a pack rat? Do I expect an imminent underwear shortage? Some of them probably last fit me in the '80s. Others were brand new but too small--I must have thought my butt would shrink overnight. Others had holes and were missing the cotton crotch lining. "If something were to happen to me, do I want Fred and the girls dealing with these?" I asked myself. So I separated them into 3 piles: wear (12), spare (12), and those with a tear (23). My drawer has more space now, and the torn pile is in the garbage. Fred asked me why I didn't donate them to the Air Force. "Why would I donate my underwear to the Air For-?" Ah, parachutes. What a funny guy.
If this experience makes a single reader take a hard look at his or her underwear drawer, it will be worth it. You never know when you might be in an accident wearing the last clean pair you have. Today I will tackle my socks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny you should mention this. My drawer is getting full too. Will have to cull soon. Is this something I should donate to Good Will?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't buy underwear at GW unless it still had the original tags on it!

Anonymous said...

And you chastise me for putting private info on the internet.

Unknown said...

I, too, am guilty of wearing undies with holes where there should be none.