Sunday, March 15, 2009

Red Is Not Dead!

Every couple years the theory resurfaces that redheads will become extinct sometime during the 21st century. However, the September '07 issue of National Geographic stated that "while redheads may decline, the potential for red isn't going away." The recessive gene will continue "unless everyone carrying that gene dies or fails to reproduce." WHEW!!
I always felt special to be a redhead from a family of redheads on both my mom's and dad's sides. My whole life I've had people--mostly older ladies--come up to me and say "You have such beautiful red hair!" Yes, I'm vain about it. I was proud to be "rare", and if the boys called me "Carrot-top" in grade school, who cares? It was worth it in later years when a guy would say "Hey, Red" and not mean it as an insult!
I admit I was a little disappointed when the girls were born with thick black hair that later lightened to brown. Both have some reddish tint in certain light--wishful thinking?? Erica gleefully tells me how happy she is NOT to be a "ginger" child--even though she colored her hair auburn before having her senior pictures done. I will be thrilled and smug if she or Katie someday produces a couple red-haired grandkids for us! My sister Tracey's strawberry blond shade skipped her 3 kids, too, but could always reappear in the next generation.
I figure my own red hair will be extinct somewhere around 2020 or after. There seem to be more coarse silver strands springing up every day. When I was younger, I swore that I would not lose the color gracefully--but as I notice more old women with hair colors not found in nature, I have changed my mind. Maroon is just not the look I want in my golden years. I will go gray with all the dignity I can muster, and when someone stops to admire my auburn-haired grandchild, I'll say "Mine used to look like that!"

*The Daily Mom will be on vacation this week. Katie is taking her laptop to San Diego, so I'll pop in if I have time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross. I'm GLAD I'm not a ginger. And I will throw any ginger babies I have off the side of a mountain.

Unknown said...

Erica! Shame on you!