Monday, May 25, 2009

9.5

That's the number I'm giving my weekend at the Amberg Hilton. Half a point was lost for the ticks, mosquitoes, and no-see-ums that were "bugging" us whenever we were in the woods or anywhere away from the campfire. I just pulled a tick off my leg as I sit here!
Saturday Fred and I headed to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan around noon. We have taken several trips around the U.P. in the past 5 years, and we like it because the border is only six miles from the cabin--and most Yoopers are Packer fans, too! The original plan was to ride to Lake Michigan (Green Bay--the body of water, not the city) but we ended up going to Marquette on Lake Superior instead. We have a fascination with the big lake, its mystique, the lives lived and lost in its cold waters. I hum the "Edmund Fitzgerald" to myself as we head north from Escanaba. It was 69 degrees when we stopped there for gas, and 48 when we got to Marquette! We were freezing, so stopped for lunch and to warm up for awhile. After a quick ride along the lakefront, gazing out across the seemingly endless water to the horizon, we hurried back inland to warmer temperatures. I dozed off once and pulled back on Fred--he yelped and woke me up before I could fall off. Seven hours, 250 miles--great day. We capped it off with a campfire and a couple beers back at the Hilton.
Yesterday was another beautiful day weather-wise, and we had friends from Rhinelander come for a visit. While Fred and Mike dug a big rock out of one of our roads through the woods, Bonnie and I checked out the "Biggest Rummage Sale Ever" just a few miles down the road. I bought some games to send to soldiers, great deal for $4.50! After lunch, we headed to Dave's Falls Park to trek around the waterfalls. "Dave" was a logger who died in a logjam in the fast-moving gorge long ago, when they still used the Pike River to move timber. We always take first-time friends who come up for canoeing to see this falls--and tell them that's where we put the canoes in! There are shocked pale faces when they see the rushing water and hear that. We hiked through the park, crossing the railroad bridge over the river. Somebody always yells "TRRAAIIN!" as I'm practically crawling across it on my hands and knees, paralyzed with fear of heights AND water! From there we headed to Piers Gorge, another falls near Norway, MI on the Menomonee River. We got to see two big rafts go through the rapids, and some young guys in kayaks were about to go down after them. I definitely missed out on the adventure/courage gene along the line--no way would I attempt that!
Mike and Bonnie left after supper, and we drove to the cemetery to visit Fred's family's graves and make sure they looked nice for today. There are numerous veterans buried there, and the flags decorating all the graves are a sight to behold. We walked around--which we've done many times--reading the stones. I like wandering through cemeteries, but I don't plan to be buried in one.
This morning early, we did a load of firewood. Fred made pancakes for breakfast, and I did a huge batch of dishes before leaving for home. He is staying there all week, and we'll have people up for our annual canoe trip next weekend. I was the big winner in gin, taking $5.00 from him in 2 days!
We're grateful to the veterans and military members who made our 9.5 weekend possible. May they all stay safe and come home soon.

No comments: