Monday, May 18, 2009

Nest Sweet Nest

Last week the realtor showed our house in Elk Mound to some people who complained about the bird nest on the light fixture outside the front door. Their comment was that the nest showed the house "wasn't well-cared for and gave a bad first impression."
There is a story behind this unsightly nest. Five or six years ago, a pair of green birds with crested heads started building a nest on the light. (I've looked in my bird book, but can't find a picture that resembles them) The birds would swoop away whenever we opened the front door, scaring the heck out of us! I took the nest down a couple times at the beginning, but the pair would doggedly start over and rebuild it. We finally gave in and let them stay there. Soon there were baby birds in the nest, so crowded that they would hang over the sides. Our outside cats would sit beneath it, waiting for an accident to happen. By the end of the summer, the whole family had flown the coop and the nest fell into disrepair over the winter.
The next spring, the birds were back and rebuilding on the light for another family. We got used to them swooping in and out and looked forward to the litle bird heads peeking out of their home. One summer a bad odor seeped from the nest, and I stood on a stool to take a look. All of the baby birds had died. I pulled the nest down, the bird parents fluttering in the tree nearby and chirping in what I assume was grief. They did this for a whole day--and then started building again. Within a few weeks, there were five new babies--the ones in the picture. I saw all five fly out together one day and leave home for good.
The birds returned last year as usual and raised another family. We moved in October, leaving the nest on the light. When I go over there tomorrow to do yardwork, I could knock the nest down--but I won't. There were eggs in it on Mother's Day weekend, and possibly babies by now. I am a bird watcher/lover/feeder, and I don't want someone who isn't to buy our house anyway. So bad impression or not, the nest stays until fall.

2 comments:

Marigold1958 said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!

Bardea said...

For me, the nest would be a welcome sign that it was the house for me. Maybe you'll find the right buyer because of the nest!