Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No Rent, Just 'rents

Having more homes than we need can come in handy once in awhile. This weekend I'm going to help Katie move stuff out of the dorm and into the Elk Mound house for the summer. She'll be working in Eau Claire, and it would be dumb to pay rent when she can have her parents as landlords. So, I'm loading up things that we moved over here six months ago, never even unpacked, and heading back west with it.
Trying to make a cozy living space out of a big empty house will be a challenge. Let's just say there will be an "eclectic" look to the furnishings. I'm boxing up household items, groceries, and cleaning supplies--(who am I kidding??) Since the realtor will still be bringing prospective buyers through, it will be our tenant's job to keep things nice or she won't get her security deposit back.
I will be bunking with her every few weeks since I'm her summer lawn girl. When we moved, I hoped I'd mowed that steep lawn for the last time. Guess not. I also want to do some painting in a couple rooms--if Fred trusts me to do it without his supervision. Any friends over there who like to paint are welcome to help! But I digress. Our rules for Katie will be no different than for anyone else who would inhabit our house. Really.
1. Dishes will be done at least once a week, and dishwasher can't be used unless it's full.
2. Dirty clothes go in the basket, not left on bathroom and bedroom floors.
3. One in every two meals must contain a vegetable.
4. You can have friends over for popcorn and Hawaiian Punch.
5. Parents/landlords reserve the right to drop in unannounced at any time--usually bearing cookies.
6. House should remain clean enough that a major overhaul isn't required when the realtor calls to show it.
7. If Jasmine is your roommate, clean the litterbox every two days and do a hairball room check before bedtime.
8. Use caution going down basement stairs and when in the shower. Maybe we should get you an "I've fallen and I can't get up" alert.
9. Don't plug up the toilet--the plunger is in Rhinelander.
10. Be careful and safe. We'll have neighbors watching out for you.
We'd hate to evict you, so mind the rules. If the house sells, you and your cat will have to find new digs. We have a tent we can lend you.

1 comment:

Marigold1958 said...

That was funny,,,,,,,,I was wondering if she would take one of the cats with her.