Monday, May 4, 2009

On the Road Again

Yesterday dawned sunny and beautiful, a perfect day to be outside. After narrowly avoiding a skunk in gin, I went out to walk the dogs while Fred planted two apple trees in the yard. Then I helped him put back together some scaffolding that had come apart. That done, he suggested trimming branches off a tree--and the lawn needs mowing, there are pine boughs to stack for burning...I clucked my tongue in disgust at the tree trimming idea, looking pointedly at the bike sitting lonely in the garage. It didn't take much persuading--we grabbed our jackets and helmets and hopped on the Harley for our first ride of the season.
Having exhausted all of the routes north, south, east, and west of Elk Mound long ago, it was fun having some new roads to ride. Everything looks different here, too. In western Wisconsin, we rode past farm fields and over hills, while here in the Northwoods we pass many gorgeous lakes and thick pine forests, close to both sides of the road. As always, I'm on the lookout for deer--but now, for bears, too!
We went to Eagle River and had breakfast meals for lunch, then checked out a couple antique and gift stores. From there we headed toward Florence, turning on 55 to Argonne. I dozed just a little, but not even close to tipping off the bike! From Argonne we drove on 32 toward Three Lakes, having to make a U-turn to check out a tractor for sale on the side of the road. $3000?! I don't think so.
Right before Three Lakes, I got hit in the face by what I thought were stones. My right cheek really stung, and it was wet when I touched it--blood? Was I going to have a scar from the road to mark me as a biker chick?? No, it wasn't blood from a rock--it was sticky bug guts from a now-deceased insect. Eww!! We stopped at a little food place so I could wash the slime off my face and warmed up with a snack. On the way out of town, we made a stop to buy husband and wife fishing licenses. I haven't gone fishing in years, and it's something I want to try again.
Back home after four hours and 105 miles. Didn't see any wildlife at all. My butt hurts a little, but not bad--just really tired from all the fresh air. I pretty much dozed on the couch the rest of the night. Born to be wild, huh?!

1 comment:

Marigold1958 said...

WHAT!!! You DOZED just a little??? You've come a long way, I never thought I would see the day when you would DOZE on a motorcycle!! In fact, I never thought I would see the day when you would even RIDE a mororcycle. They need seatbelts on Mororcycles!!