Thursday, May 14, 2009

What the Heck's a Hodag?

Throughout my life I have been many different entities, depending on where I was going to school or living at the time. I started out as a Melrose-Mindoro Mustang, then became a Blugold at UW-Eau Claire. As a student teacher I was a Rice Lake Warrior, then spent 15 years teaching as one of the politically incorrect Rib Lake Redmen. Our move to Elk Mound made me a Mounder--a source of embarrassment when the cute produce guy at the grocery store looked at the word across my chest and asked "what are Mounders?" (I didn't have an answer, but wasn't it obvious?!)
Now I live in Rhinelander, which officially makes me a Hodag. "What the heck is a Hodag?" you ask. The postcard pictured here (from D & S Enterprises in Phelps, WI) explains on the back that "On the first night of the arrival of lumber camp novices, an Indian from the camp would go out in a nearby swamp and make the most blood-curdling and terrifying noises. The tenderfeet were told that this was the Hodag, wandering in his native wilds. Many a tale was spun by the loggers about this mythical animal and a great number were taken in by the hoax." Kind of like snipe hunting, only scarier.
As you drive around Rhinelander, you will see Hodags of various looks and sizes on signs, businesses, and clothing. Starting next week, however, you will be able to see Hodags on Parade in the downtown area. Borrowing from the famous Cow Parade idea that originated in Chicago, five fiber glass Hodags have been painted by local artists and will be on display through the end of September. Then they will be auctioned off to the highest bidders with the money going to revitalization projects downtown.
Any of you friends and family who visit us this summer are guaranteed a tour of the Hodags, something you won't see anywhere else! So plan to make a trip to Rhinelander--and we promise not to send you out in the woods alone.

No comments: