Thursday, May 7, 2009

No Fun on the Run

I hate running errands. You'd think that going to town for a few hours would be preferable to staying home and staring at the cats. Not for me! I'm not sure what it is--the numerous stops and starts, the waiting in lines, not finding what I want...I always end up cranky.
At the bank it's faster to go inside than use the drive-through, where I never pull in right and end up hanging out the door to put my stuff in the tube. Even though there's usually a line at the post office, it's my favorite stop. The clerks know me by name now because of the soldier packages I send, and always comment on the stickers I apply to my boxes and letters. Grocery shopping is the worst job--if I wing it without a list, it takes twice as long, but making a list requires meal planning ahead of time. Many of these meals won't get made because Fred is seldom home for supper, and I'm too lazy to cook for myself.
Yesterday I went to town, the main reason being to mail Mother's Day cards that required extra postage. I stopped at Walmart first--the store I like the least--but where I get my dog and cat supplies. I also looked in the pharmacy department for Fred's niacin, but they didn't have the right kind. On to Kohl's to pick up one thing I needed for a birthday gift--where I waited in line behind a woman with 20+ items. Next was the P.O., in and out in five minutes. From there I went to the Hallmark store for birthday cards. After picking them out, I stood sweating profusely at the counter from a hot flash--or annoyance--as the clerk rang up my purchase wrong and had to get a manager to fix it. The grocery store was next, to pick up the things I forgot when I shopped on Monday. I was already grabbing a cart when I realized I'd left my canvas bag in the truck, so I trudged back out for it. Shopping done there, I drove to Walgreens to get the niacin. They didn't have the right kind either, and what they did have cost $4 more than the same thing at Walmart. Aarrgh!! Was it worth $4 not to have to go back to Wally World?? Crap! Back I went, marched in for the niacin and used the new self-check-out lanes--a big plus to the recent store remodel. Finally, back home after 2 1/2 hours of putzing around.
I know there are other people out there who must hate doing errands as much as I do. Maybe I should start a business and do their running for them--at least I'd get paid for the aggravation. And then I could complain about my job, too.

No comments: