Saturday, May 16, 2009

Congratulations, Erica!!

Tomorrow Erica will graduate from the University of Wisconsin. Five years, three majors--biology, communications, Spanish--Medical Scholar, Phi Beta Kappa. She will start medical school in Madison this fall, her goal to be an ob/gyn. Forgive my bragging--we are just so proud!
She was on the forensics team for three years, competing at Nationals three times. She has worked four jobs simultaneously: document delivery for Primate Center researchers, facilitator with Sex Out Loud, spin class instructor, and babysitter for Harry and Jack, her forensic coach's kids. She ran four marathons, and based on her Facebook photos and giggly late-night phone calls from her, crammed a lot of fun into those five years as well. She met Craig her freshman year, and they'll get married next June.
I don't claim any credit for her academic success or motivation, though she may have gotten the ability to multi-task successfully from me. She has her dad's work ethic and the belief that if it's worth doing, do it right.
When she graduated from high school, she made a video for us of herself from birth through graduation and presented it with this letter:
"I cannot imagine the effort you have poured into my upbringing, the thousands of hours you devoted to me in hopes that I would turn out all right. I only hope that I have been to you everything you imagined a daughter could be. I know how proud you are of me, and I know you love me; you have made sure that I never doubted any of that. I, however, am sometimes less expressive. When I was younger, I used to picture what life would be like if I could pick different parents. I was too young to realize that I am the way I am solely because of you. You have given me the confidence to become everything that I've become. I believe in myself because I know that whether I fail, whether I succeed, my parents will never stop believing in me. You are my reasons for everything I have done and will do. You are all of my reasons. I know that with the two of you behind me, things will always turn out all right. I love you, Mom and Dad."
We love you too, kid. As you leave college for the next challenge in your life, we hope you know we're still here, cheering you on to achieve all your hopes and dreams. Congratulations!!

2 comments:

pizzathehut said...

Your daughter is a machine! She sounds a lot like me though. I did a lot of multi-tasking when I was in college also. Athlete, ROTC and somehow finding the time to hit the books. I am very happy for you, you should be very proud. Cheers!

Marigold1958 said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I am also so very proud of her! She has always accomplished everything she has ever set out to do so I have no doubt that she will do well in medical school. A proud Grandmother