Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Back at the Ranch

I thought I'd write a quick report of my time back at the Elk Mound house so far--before getting back to my "lawn girl" job! Mowing the lawn yesterday just about killed me. I found out later that it was 89 degrees, so that explains why! The hill in the back yard is always tough, but the first mowing of the year is the worst. I took many more rest breaks than I normally do, and fortunately the mower started up easily after each one. Before I head back to Rhinelander, I'm going to buy a riding lawnmower at Fleet Farm to use there--it's too hilly for it here.
There are 5 little eggs in the bird nest on the light outside the front door!! I saw the parents as soon as I arrived yesterday, so they will keep me company today while I plant flowers out front.
HB, one of the outside cats we had to leave here because he's not tame enough, was in the back yard this morning! He was afraid when I called him, but I put food on the deck for when he comes back. I'm so glad he made it through the winter without us here to feed him.
We got Katie's internet set up, bought a new fridge, but no TV yet--she needs an antenna. Today I am going to plant flowers and rake, then vacuum up the billion ladybug carcasses that accumulated since I last did it in March. I "slept" on Katie's futon, with Jasmine bugging me all night, and now I have a stiff neck. Too old for college-style furniture!!
I can't believe someone hasn't bought this house yet. I knew it was "the one" as soon as I saw it. The view from the deck down the valley is so pretty, and the back yard is green, shady, and peaceful. Oh well, that just means we can still enjoy it for awhile. Better get back to work--my "boss" just left for her housekeeping job at the hotel. Ironic, since her bedroom again looks like the disaster area it always was when we lived here.

No comments: